The ELIXIR Training Platform was established to develop a training community spanning all ELIXIR member states (see the list of Training Coordinators). It aims to strengthen national training programmes, grow bioinformatics capacity and competence across Europe, and empower researchers to use ELIXIR's services and tools.
- establishes and implements best practices in bioinformatics training,
- supports training providers across Europe in developing and delivering training to developers, researchers and trainers,
- builds a sustainable training infrastructure.
Services offered by the Training Platform
TeSS, the training registry for the ELIXIR community
- TeSS provides a one-stop shop for trainers and trainees to discover online information and content, including training materials, events and interactive tutorials.
- For trainers, the portal offers an environment for sharing materials and event information.
- For trainees, it offers a gateway to find relevant training events and resources, and to perform specific, guided analysis tasks via customised training workflows.
- For ELIXIR Nodes, TeSS provides opportunities to promote training events and news, and to contribute to a growing catalogue of materials.
This search opens TeSS in a new tab.
What the Training Platform does
Builds an ELIXIR training infrastructure
- To assess bioinformatics training quality, good practice and impact
Lead: Gabriella Rustici (ELIXIR-UK), Sarah Morgan (ELIXIR-UK)
- To develop the TeSS Training Portal
Lead: Terri Attwood (ELIXIR-UK)
- To develop eLearning resources and deliver training through them
Lead: Brane Leskosek (ELIXIR-SI)
- Providing ELIXIR with a mechanism to capture and report on the impact of its training programme on the European and international level.
- Harmonising standards, metrics and the sharing of training materials across ELIXIR Nodes. This involves developing good practice guidelines and a training evaluation system, in collaboration with GOBLET.
- Developing well structured training routes – through the use of workflows – embedded in online resources for cost-effective, time-efficient, impactful training.
- To develop TeSS as an active forum for aggregating, disseminating and coordinating information on ELIXIR’s training activities/materials, including those relating to ELIXIR’s services.
- To enable the storage of training material online (e.g. the e-Learning platform provided by ELIXIR-SI).
- To create scalable training materials, which will be made available to trainers, developers and users.
Delivers training to the ELIXIR community
- To develop targeted training programmes for
- developers, infrastructure operators
Lead: Hedi Peterson (ELIXIR-EE)
Lead: Pedro Fernandes (ELIXIR- PT)
Leads: Allegra Via (ELIXIR-IT), Sarah Morgan (ELIXIR-UK)
- developers, infrastructure operators
- Train the Developer and Infrastructure Operator programmes:
- Mapping the competences across ELIXIR Nodes and analysing training needs. The Platform is doing this through surveys, discussions at the annual ELIXIR All Hands Meeting, and consultation with the ELIXIR Technical Coordinators Group.
- Providing targeted training based on the mapped needs. This training is delivered through face-to-face workshops and webinars.
- Building a virtual community to ease the communication between developers and infrastructure operators. See the Virtual Coffee Room.
- Train the Researcher programme:
- Training the following groups of researchers: life scientists, computational biologists, and bioinformaticians engaged in marine metagenomics, in plant genotype-phenotype interactions, in rare disease and in biological sample collection research.
- To ensure these groups become independent and savvy users of the ELIXIR resources, training is given in scientific programming, statistics, HPC, ontologies, workflows, data curation and annotation, as well as in the effective use of standards and FAIR data.
- Train the Trainer programme:
- Building a highly skilled and coherent community of training instructors by developing training capacity in the Nodes with the train the trainer (TtT) framework.
ELIXIR funds a number of short term, technical projects (Implementation Studies) that to inform future service development, drive standards adoption and engage the Nodes.
- Using clouds and VMs for bioinformatics training (Workshop as a Service) (2017-Workshopclouds)
- Developing learning paths for users of ELIXIR services (2017-Learningpaths)
- Providing training to the 2018-beacon and 2018-cwl Implementation Studies (2018-Training)
- Development of Architecture for Software Containers at ELIXIR and its use by EXCELERATE use-case communities (2018-Biocontainers)
- Integration from a user perspective (2016-Userpersepctive)
- Towards Data Stewardship (2018-DMP)
- Reuse, extension, scaling of scientific workflows (2018-cwl)
- Data Validation (2018-Validation)
- Mapping the landscape of Biocuration in ELIXIR: Practice, capability and training requirements (2018-Biocuration)
- Bioschemas: Community Adoption and Training (2018-Bioschemas)
Find out more
- Browse the TeSS portal to find training courses and training material available around Europe.
- Browse the Events page of this site for training events and workshops.
- Find out how ELIXIR Training is organised, including who your local Training Coordinators are.
- Collaborations of the ELIXIR Training Platform with external bodies.