One of the ELIXIR Training Platform’s objectives is to increase bioinformatics capacity and competency in Europe. This programme relies in the development of new courses and materials, and also specifically in the Train the Trainer (TtT) programme.
The ELIXIR TtT programme aims to build a network of trainers to allow them to benefit from reciprocal support and discussion. ELIXIR TtT courses aim to give new instructors tools and tips for providing an enriching learning experience to trainees, irrespective of topic, and to include best-practice guidance on course and training material development.
Four core topics form the basis the ELIXIR TtT course structure:
- Principles of learning and how they apply to training;
- Training techniques for enhancing learner engagement and participation,
- Design of engaging sessions, materials and courses;
- Assessment and feedback in training.
- Training materials are in the GitHub repository
- Course design: Considerations for trainers – a Professional Guide. Via A, Palagi PM, Lindvall JM, Tractenberg RE, Attwood TK, The GOBLET Foundation et al. F1000Res. 2020 Nov 27.
- A new pan-European Train-the-Trainer programme for bioinformatics: pilot results on feasibility, utility and sustainability of learning. Via A, Attwood TK, Fernandes PL, Morgan SL, Schneider MV, Palagi PM, Rustici G, Tractenberg RE. Brief Bioinform. 2019 Mar 22;20(2):405-415
- The ELIXIR-EXCELERATE Train-the-Trainer pilot programme: empower researchers to deliver high-quality training. Morgan SL, Palagi PM, Fernandes PL, Koperlainen E, Dimec J, Marek D, Larcombe L, Rustici G, Attwood TK, Via A. F1000Res. 2017 Aug 24;6. pii: ELIXIR-1557