This Focus Group aims to implement FAIR principles in training (FAIR: Findable, Accessible, Interoperable and Reusable). The groups contains members from ELIXIR and from the international community.
Goals of the group
Goal 1: Train scientists on how to implement FAIR principles
The outcome of this effort is a catalog of courses, course materials, and curricula on the FAIR principles. This also connects to relevant efforts under CONVERGE, such as the Data Management and Data Stewardship curriculum development. An additional connection is also on the Terms4Skills initiative, capturing the competencies necessary for training on the FAIR principles.
Goal 2: FAIRify training materials and courses
We are developing guidelines for how training resources can be made FAIR, including training material on how to make training material FAIR. We are supporting the broader bioinformatics community to adopt these guidelines.
The guidelines also facilitate the creation of a checklist that can help streamline their adoption by trainers and communities alike. Ultimately this improves the FAIRness of existing resources and makes training more findable in TeSS, ELIXIR's registry of training courses and materials.
Outcomes of the group
- Publications: a notable outcome of this WG is the recently published “Ten simple rules for making training materials FAIR”.
- Webinar: "Ten simple rules for making training materials FAIR" by Patricia Palagi and Leyla Garcia
- Posters: presented at ISMB 2019 and 2020:
- Education Summit 2021
- ISMB/ECCB 2021 - WEB2021: Making training materials FAIR - experiences, challenges, solutions
- First ELIXIR Hackathon on “Developing (FAIR) training materials for a lesson on how to develop (FAIR) training materials” on October 15, 2021 at GOBLET AGM 2021
- BioHackathon Europe 2021: Project 25: Making training materials FAIR: developing a lesson and a tool to assess FAIRness of training materials
How to get involved/contribute
- Join the mailing list
- Join the focus group meetings (first Wednesday of each month 9am CET): send an email to the mailing list, with the subject “Join meeting calls”.
- Contribute to the lesson on making training materials FAIR.
- Connect through the corresponding GH repo: the link to the GitHub repo will be added shortly.
fair-training [at] elixir-europe.org