The SIB Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics is an academic not-for-profit organization whose mission is to lead and coordinate the field of bioinformatics in Switzerland. Its data science experts join forces to advance biological and medical research and enhance health.
SIB (i) provides the national and international life science community with a state-of-the-art bioinformatics infrastructure, including services, resources, expertise; and (ii) federates world-class researchers and delivers training in bioinformatics.
The institute includes some 70 world-class research and service groups including 800 scientists in the fields of genomics, proteomics, evolution and phylogeny, systems biology, structural biology, text mining and machine learning and personalized health.
SIB in figures (as of 31 Dec. 2018):
- 20 institutional members spread across Switzerland
- 12 core facilities and competence centres
- Over 150 databases and software tools developed by SIB Members and accessible via the SIB portal ExPASy
- 254 peer-reviewed articles published in 2018
- 105 training days by over 80 experts to about 1,265 trainees in 2018
SIB at ELIXIR
SIB is the largest national node within the ELIXIR consortium. As a provider of various renowned bioinformatics resources, expertise and teaching activities to the international life science community, SIB interacts with ELIXIR at several levels:
- Two of SIB’s supported bioinformatics resources are part of ELIXIR’s Core Data Resources: UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot and STRING (read more)
- A study by SIB and supported by ELIXIR compared existing funding models towards sustainable funding of core data resources in the life sciences (Gabella C et al. F1000Research 2017, 6(ELIXIR):2051 - read more and watch the interview)
- SIB co-led the development of the governance and processes supporting the identification and evaluation of ELIXIR Core Data Resources (Durinx C et al., F1000Research 2016, 5:2422)
- SIB co-leads the ELIXIR Data and Training Platforms and is involved in several other work streams, such as the benchmarking of software tools
SIB runs an extensive range of training events - see the Events section.
Head of Node
(SIB Joint Executive Director)
Head of Node
(SIB Joint Executive Director and co-chair of the ELIXIR Data Platform)
(SIB Chief Technology Officer )
(SIB Head of Training)