The primary objective is to curate high-quality biochemical knowledge (reactions/enzymes/ genes) on lipid metabolism, working with lipid experts worldwide. The data will be housed in a shared resource created in partnership between two ELIXIR data services, LIPID MAPS (ELIXIR-UK), and WikiPathways (ELIXIR-NL).
To achieve this:
- LIPID MAPS will establish expert teams representing LIPID MAPS lipid categories. Our recent “call for lipid experts” generated 50+ responses, and we have appointed expert leads to oversee data collection for 4 lipid categories.
- For this project, initial focus will be on sphingolipids and sterols.
- Experts will work with a curator to generate and sign-off content which will be assembled
- using PathVisio/WikiPathways, an open access collaborative platform. The focus will be
- mammals, but we look to include organisms such as plants, microbes, microalgae, yeast.
- Content will be back-populated into the LIPID MAPS Structure and Reaction Databases to
- generate an open resource for lipidomics.
1 January 2022 to 31 December 2023