We have the possibility to recruit technical support for the maintenance and improvement of the resource ORVAL (http://orval.ibsquare.be). ORVAL, or the resource for oligogenic variant analysis, requires regular updates in terms of the underlying annotation databases and can benefit from further developments to improve user experience. In addition, to ensure its sustainability, the platform will need to be transferred to a professional environment that will be defined in collaboration with the company FairGX and the Foundation 101 Genomes (http://f101g.org).
As technical support staff, you will be responsible of the automatization of data update procedures for a variant annotation database; you will develop new functionalities and improve the design and stability of the web platform; and you will facilitate the technology transfer with the implementation of good practices and technical documentations.
The position would be in the context of the Interuniversity Institute of Bioinformatics in Brussels (http://www.ibsquare.be) under the supervision of professor Tom Lenaerts and Dr. Sofia Papadimitriou (Université Libre de Bruxelles). This application is already for year, which may be extend afterwards. The position will be closed as soon as a suitable candidate is found.
How to apply
Persons interested in this position should send a CV, motivation letter and references to Tom.Lenaerts [at] ulb.be. We kindly ask to make it explicitly clear in the motivation letter which of the skills listed below fit your profile.
Requested profileThe ideal candidate has a master’s degree in computer science or related field, with prior knowledge on bioinformatics, genetics and web tool development. The candidate has:
- The analytical and critical mindset to help designing ORVAL
- Practical knowledge of database architecture and SQL querying (PostgreSQL)
- Experience in software development and good practices (in Python)
- Familiarity with Unix environment and Bash language
- Familiarity with bioinformatics resources, formats, and general concepts
- Experience in writing and maintaining technical documentations
- Interest in open-source tools
The following skills are a plus:
- Familiarity with container technologies such as Docker
- Familiarity with web visualization technologies (e.g D3.js)
- Knowledge of Data management plans, incorporating ethical and legal issues
- Familiarity with machine learning concepts
- Familiarity with Cloud computing architecture
- Familiarity with DevOps activities
- The candidate should have the following soft skills:
- Good communication and presentation skills
- Capable of working independently but with a good team spirit
- Good organisational skills
- Good knowledge of English is needed to interact with the team
- Interest to work in an international environment
Equal opportunities policy
As stated by its statutes, the Université Libre de Bruxelles is a non-discriminating institution, and all its members are expected to adhere to its fundamental principles. ULB's personnel management policy focuses on diversity and equal opportunities and recruits candidates based on their skills, regardless of age, gender, sexual orientation, origin, nationality, beliefs, disability. ULB has played a pioneering role in the rise of female academics in Belgium. ULB has launched the Cascade initiative, which ensures that the gender balance among promoted staff members is at least equal to that observed at the lower level of career progression. More details on the ULB gender equality policy are available at https://www.ulb.be/en/about-ulb/gender-equality-at-ulb .