We are looking for a bioinformatician, biologist, data scientist or biocurator with strong interest and experience from life-science data resources to join ELIXIR as the scientific coordinator for the ELIXIR Data Platform.
The goal of the ELIXIR Data Platform is to drive the use, re-use and value of life science data. It aims to do this by providing users with robust, long-term sustainable data resources within a coordinated and connected data ecosystem with a strong emphasis on scalable curation.
As coordinator you would work closely with and support our international ELIXIR scientific leadership team for the Data Platform. Your main task will be to provide day-to-day management and coordination. You will support our long-term planning and drive the development and implementation of a project portfolio to support ELIXIR Data’s Resources.
You will work with the scientists and technical experts at our 220 partner institutes across ELIXIR Nodes to ensure interoperable and long-term development of ELIXIR’s Data resources. You will oversee our technical planning and implementation and document progress and impact by establishing and monitoring performance, quality and impact indicators.
- Support the scientific leadership team for the Data Platform with coordination, documentation and report on progress, delivery and risks for the ELIXIR Data platform portfolio of technical integration projects
- Manage communication and facilitate the coordination of services. Bring together services, developers and users to drive partnerships and user impact across ELIXIR’s member states
- Oversee the development process and bring together the geographically distributed project partners to agree and implement shared technical strategies and standards.
- Continue, as required, the selection of the ELIXIR Core Data Resources and Deposition Databases, and the annual gathering of usage and indicator data.
- In close partnership with the scientific leadership team for the Data Platform and ELIXIR Nodes organise communication, outreach and ensure collaboration with the other ELIXIR platforms, communities and users.
- Project-manage the development and implementation of a portfolio of ELIXIR projects for the Data Platform.
- Contribute to the activity of the ELIXIR Hub as an active member of the ELIXIR Technical Team, based at the ELIXIR Hub.
- University degree in the field of life-science, computer science, engineering or another quantitative discipline with solid interest and experience from bioinformatics/medical informatics research environments. An advanced degree in one these fields is a plus. Knowledge and Experience
- 5+ years experience of bioinformatics data and preferably service delivery in an informatics intensive life-science environment.
- Ability to lead and motivate multi-disciplinary teams in a distributed and matrix-managed environment to deliver against challenging goals and timelines. Experience of developing project technical specifications and performance indicators based on user research.
- Strong interest in services for data and compute intensive research both from a user perspective and from an infrastructure perspective. Experience from developing standards and/or European research infrastructure projects is a strong asset.
You might also have:
- Results oriented with excellent interpersonal skills, you set goals and prioritise tasks with a minimum of supervision.
- Strong collaborator with demonstrated track-record of delivery in geographically distributed teams, able to demonstrate a sense of diplomacy.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and preferably at least one other European language.
- Demonstrate a flexible approach, self-motivation and resilience.
Why join us
ELIXIR is a unique undertaking that consolidates Europe’s bioinformatics resources, services, and national centres into a single, coherent infrastructure. ELIXIR ensures interoperable tools and the long-term sustainability and reuse of life-science data by providing common services based on strong standards. As a distributed research infrastructure, ELIXIR is built upon the bioinformatics services provided by the national ELIXIR Nodes in our 21 member states.
The ELIXIR Hub is located on the Wellcome Genome Campus near Cambridge in the UK. We provide a dynamic, international working environment and have close ties with EMBL-EBI and collaborate with the Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute. Staff enjoy many benefits including excellent sports facilities, a free shuttle bus to Cambridge and other nearby centres, an active sports and social club, and an attractive working environment set in 55 acres of parkland.
The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension and health insurance, educational and other family related benefits where applicable, as well as financial support for relocation and installation.
What else you need to know
See the full job description.
ELIXIR Hub staff are employed by EMBL, an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation.
We welcome applications irrespective of gender and appointment will be based on merit alone. Applications are welcome from all nationalities - visa information will be discussed in more depth with applicants selected for interview.
Contract duration: 3 years
Grading: 6 or 7 (monthly salary starting at £2,994 or £3,408 after tax)
Reference Number: EX00007