In response to European Union's public consultation on the interim evaluation of Horizon 2020, ELIXIR has published its Position Paper on Horizon 2020, the European Union's funding programme for research and development.
The Paper includes recommendations that could be adopted for the reminder of Horizon 2020, as well as several longer-term suggestions to consider for a successor programme.
Summary of the recommendations:
- Horizon 2020 could better reflect the fact that Research infrastructures play a fundamental role in the science ecosystem and deliver societal and economic value.
- Horizon 2020 should play a direct role in supporting the effective operation of priority research infrastructures
- Open Data mandates and requirements for Data Management Plans in Horizon 2020 are to be encouraged. However, investment in the corresponding data infrastructure to store and make these data available is required
- The current grant funding model for research projects is not suited to support the operations of core databases: more appropriate mechanisms for critical infrastructures should be developed
- More linkages are required between the Horizon 2020 research themes that generate data and initiatives funded within the Research Infrastructures programmes that sustain the data infrastructure